Monday, March 28, 2011

JPS 2011 - Traveling to NY! :)

Traveling to New York for the Just Peace Summit was an adventure on its own! Well, first thing is I only packed for the summit the morning of the day I was supposed to head to the airport…and as you know, last minute packing is NEVER a good idea! (I ended up leaving behind so many things..hehe) . Another thing I was worried about was that my baggage might exceed the limit, thanks heavens it didn’t.

But anyway, when I got to the airport, I was told that the plane was going to depart earlier than stated which was a real bummer because that meant less time with my family before I left. So my first flight was for 7 hours+ to Doha, Qatar. I was sooo happy that the lady who was supposed to sit next to me on the plane switched seats which meant I got more space to myself! YAY! The next bit was the worst, 8 grueling hours of transit at the Doha airport in the middle of the night. Piece of advice: avoid Doha for long transits; the airport is one of the most boring ones I’ve been to.

Next was the journey to JFK(Finally!! ) I got this really nice lady from Staten Island seated next to me, so I was happy. But I must admit, a 14 hour flight can really make a person want to jump off an airplane. Imagine 14 hours of just seating? A real killer! I finally land in JFK, and though immigration took nearly an hour, it was all worth it once I saw the car I was to travel in. A LIMO! J

The driver, Lucky was a really nice guy and he pointed out all the interesting places in NY to see. He even gave me his number if I ever needed a ride again. So finally here I am in New York! The city is beautiful, the people are amazing and the Just Peace Summit is exceeding every expectation I had. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the summit and seeing what else they have in store for us!

Till then,

Shobana

No comments: